Thread: DAL Poolie Info
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by HTBH View Post
Quick question for the wiser people on the forum on this as I try to clarify options as a new guy...

In the last couple of new hire classes since start of May 58 NYC A320B's were given out to new hires. (Last 4 drops in May and June...15, 9, 20 and now 14. As one of them I'm hoping more come down in July and August as well...) So my question is why so many to 320B's to NYC if people can immediately bid off and there's only about 75 NYC 320B pilots at all. I have a tough time believing that the bottom 58 will be gone in the next 4-6 months out of NYC and the number one guy 320 guy at the start of May will be that senior in that short a time. If drops keep anything like this, in a few short months they'll clear out the whole FO force up there (is it that bad that people leave that quickly...?). Is it a case of the hiring guys, the training dept and the schedulers not quite being in sync, a contract thing, or is there something else I don't get? Why not just give the ATL 320's out directly?

Just trying to figure out how all this works....
Its no skin off their nose if someone leaves a category in the first year, because they can only do so if there was another opening in another base that they'd have to new hire into anyway, and they control how fast and how many can leave any given month as well.

The NYC 320 category is wrapping up a major expansion, yet its still a fairly small category. It is settling into the size it will likely be for a long time. With no more expansion, I think it will stabilize and stagnate. The fleet over all isn't growing and the 321's won't be here for a while anyway.

The category is fairly brutal because its full of AM reports and PM releases, flies a lot out of all 3 bases (though LGA more than the others) and if you commute, which most do especially to NYC, you will lose a lot of "off days" on each end of it. Yet it will be hard for the very junior to progress for a while because senior pilots will always be bidding in whenever they can hold the relavite percentile they are comfortable with.