View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 AM
FoxHunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by daytonaflyer
I don't think FedEx actually owns any single-engine airplanes. Those Cessna Caravan's you see flying around with FedEx painted on them are owned and operated by other companies; they are contracted by FedEx. They are simply feeders for FedEx. I believe FedEx's smallest airplane is the Boeing 727. Unfortunately, I've heard that FedEx doesn't favor working for one of their feeders when hiring pilots. FedEx is one of the hardest jobs to get in the industry. Their minimums don't reflect their hiring, but like most other good-paying aviation jobs, you will need about 10-15 years of professional flying experience, around 4000+ hours with at least 1500+ as captain of a jet. Also, FedEx really favors 3 internal pilot recommendations. They don't require it, but realistically, you probably won't get an interview unless you meet most or all of these requirements...so start making friends in Memphis.
FedEx owns all the Caravans and most of the feeder aircraft in FedEx colors. They are flown by a number of operators for FedEx. I have yet to meet a single pilot that has been hired by FedEx from the feeder companies. We may have, but it is rare if it has happened.