View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Airbum
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by sscottky72 View Post
What is the typical schedule like for a a UPS FO? I am building my hours and aquiring my ratings as a UPS driver. I have been with the company for 12 years. I have a degree and 4 yrs Navy as a controller. I'm 34 yrs old and I have 4 friends that are UPS pilots. I am just wondering how much time I am going to have to spend away from my family. My passion has always been to fly and no I have the chance but....is it worth the sacrifice? I can build the necessay tin turbine hours in a couple years with Amerifreight. My problem is a have 12 yrs with UPS now and 75K while all along home every night. If I am going to pursue this I have to stay at it, however, if it is not conductive to a quality family life then I need to know now and enjoy flying my Cessna and continue as a UPS driver.
I think you would find UPS the same kind caring company that you enjoy today as a truck driver. <G> The exception being as a pilot you would then be considered a liability dragging down the profits of a fine company.

Do you do a lot of shift work now? Most of UPS flying is done during the odd hours of the day. Also I would plan on being gone from home at least 12-14 days a calendar month. Sometimes it would be better but then that but don't plan on this happening.

HAVING to go fly when the company wants is nothing like GETTING to fly your Cessna when you want. Its a good job, so is the one you have, keep it in perspective.

Last edited by Airbum; 05-21-2007 at 03:42 AM.