Thread: Alpa Fdx
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Busboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Your comment of "Of the 13 individuals, senior to me, that turned age 60 in Apr and May, only 1 is not still in the system" is rather telling, in that it appears that you only are concerned with guys who are senior to you, and therefore might be back if the rule is changed. I thought you were concerned with the entire rule change in general. But now I understand.
"Rather telling", huh? Actually, no, you don't understand. I was given a retirement list, 18 years ago, that lists individuals date of birth, seniority, etc. The list does not include anyone hired after that date. I know of no list that does. So, your conclusion is way off the mark. I am concerned with the rule change, in general. I just don't have the data to include those junior to me.

...You constantly bring up the fact that we should have done a better job of financial planning, but fail to realize that a good number of us got here during a time when you sat at the panel for 4 to 5 years, and didn't have a chance to make captain until almost 9 years...
I don't fail to realize anything of the sort. I lived it!!
My time in this industry(incl. 18yrs here):

4.5 yrs as S/O
8.0 yrs as F/O
9.o yrs as Capt

As well, you seem to want to abdicate the seniority system, because it would benefit you to do so.
That is the biggest crock of crap in your post. I know its the MEC's mantra right now. Its in every e-mail, letter and video we get from them. But, it is not a contractual issue, it is a regulatory issue. Moving you to the back seat was not a contractual issue, it was regulatory. I don't remember anyone on the MEC fighting to change regulations to protect your "seniority rights", then. Were they abdicating the seniority system?

I do understand the issues associated with this contentious rule change, but the thing that bothers me is that you are willing to throw away the system that has stood us in good stead for so many years, just to allow you a slightly faster seat progression, while at the same time forsaking guys who have been humping freight for Fred for a long time.
I am not throwing away anything for my gain. Or as you say, "just to allow you a slightly faster seat progression". Faster than what? Faster than it would be without changing the rules? That will be your gain, not mine. I stand to gain nothing, no matter how the rule changes. And, I don't consider the idea of working past age 60, a gain.

There are many arguments that can (and have been) made, and all are, or may be correct. We don't know how this will shake out, but I can tell you this: without a solid unity of purpose, and a well supported union, this pilot group will be recovering from the next negotiated contract for many years to come. Dave Webb and the rest of our union leaders are doing what they think is in our (collective) best interests. The fact that you don't agree, is just the way it is.
I would argue that our MEC's actions have done more to fragment this union and more to alienate the different seniority groups, than any Ford & Harrison, or management scheme, could have ever done.

Last edited by Busboy; 05-23-2007 at 07:44 AM.