View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Yabadaba
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Swing that gear

In my opinion there is a big difference between post secondary education and airplane specific training. Nobody should question college but paying for training out of pocket creates a race to the bottom. If a company pays for an airplane they should pay for all crew costs and training.

I have worked to create a department where pilots are treated and paid well. They last thing I want to bring in is someone who is willing to undercut myself or anyone else by planting a seed in my CEO's ear it is OK for pilots to pay for their own training. I will do everything I can to avoid training contracts because we should be able to create an environment where people want to stay... and if they find something that betters their life or career I'm happy for them.

It doesn't take a genius to understand if someone probably got GI Bill assistance getting a type by looking at their resume or asking a few questions. I've met several people that just stopped by to drop off a resume and said they would buy their own type if needed to be hired. This is what needs to stop to better this profession for all pilots. These departments will never become a good place to work because owners will never stop thinking it is the pilots responsibility.