View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM
HerkDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A300 F/O

My frustration with the FDX MEC & the age 60 rule lies not with the fact that the rule is changing (or the decision for ALPA to switch positions) but rather with the fact that at last count, 70% of our pilots didn't want it to change. My understanding is that this was a number from several years ago, but that it still pretty much represents the general atmosphere of our crewmembers today. The MEC has thrown the "62% want us to be a part of the change" number around enough, but never came out and said what percentage of our crewmembers wanted us to stand up and fight against the change in the first place. To me, Captain Webb's vote for the change is essentially the same thing as if the majority of the citizen's of a state voted for one presidential candidate, but at the electoral college, the state's votes were cast for the other candidate "just because it looked like the other guy (or gal) was going to win". I would have supported the union on this if they had carried the majority's opinion about the change with him to the table and atleast tried to make a stand; I am awaiting a call from the MEC right now to find out what the exact percentage was of our crewmembers who don't or didn't want the change....if it is 50.1% or greater, I plan on resigning my ALPA membership effective this afternoon. UPDATE: Just got the call from the MEC and 66.1% of our pilots didn't/don't want the change! Looks like I'm gonig to become the very thing I hate the most...