View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM
GrummanCT
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

You're proud to have kept your company waiting maximum time possible based on the principal that you can so you should? AND you will make a point to continue to do it over and over???? Thats honestly…Sad….

If there is a full service Marriott and a Ritz Carlton, do you take the Ritz by default because your contract says you can? Do you seek out Ruth's Chris for all three meals of the day because your contract says you can?

I'm glad to not know that attitude, and with all due respect i'd be ashamed if I did. It's not part of my upbringing and certainly not something I would be proud to tell my children.

In regards to how you label my days off or available days? Whatever makes you happy. Personally, I call them going to the beach, traveling out of state, remodeling my house, golfing, or whatever else I feel like doing. I am very fortunate to have the protection of at least 24 hours notice, and it allows me to do those types of things without the threat of disciplinary action from my employer should I decline. That being said, I show my employer the same respect they show me. It's not me versus them, and i'm not going to take advantage of them just because I can. Tuesday 10am, i'm sitting at home with no plans or personal obligations and work calls, i'm likely going to take the trip.

I think your attitude is perfect for the airlines, and I'm serious when I say this, I think you will be a great union leader representing thousands of pilots, but the reality is, your out of touch with Part 91 aviation.

Edit: Lets just get one thing clear. In these posts I have never said anything about not maintaining hard days off. In my department we are expected to maintain hard days off. I would never fault a pilot for declining work on a contractually agreed off period in most situations. We are talking about a secondary week, not defined as hard days off. And again, i'll stand by what I said in that context. If you are showing up for trips at maximum allowable time based on principle alone, I would eventually let you go. If it's not effecting duty times, safety or regulations, max call out times are based on protections for the crew member (doctors appointments, child care etc…) and I don't think it's right to take advantage just because you think you can.

Last edited by GrummanCT; 08-12-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Adding to post