View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Gjn290
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Tacocat02 View Post
Are you going to Hawaiian by chance?
Man I loved flying Medevac. I flew for two companies where I got to be at home on call for 12 hour shifts. I made good money (73,000) and considered it very rewarding. I left to go fly for a large 135 Jet charter company and hated it! All I wanted was to get back into awesome turboprops and habe a great lifestyle again.
I eventually made it to a part 91 turboprop job which I love.

Moral of the story, if REAL QOL is a priority, if you want to have money, buy a house and be home every night, be treated well....why consider anything else?

Growing up all I wanted was to fly 777s and A330s. Now all I want to do is see my kids grow up and be there for them while still flying cool planes.
No I'm not going to Hawaiian, they're not hiring, but maybe one day. I'm going to a regional here in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by blaquehawk99 View Post
This is the kind of flying I would like to do. I know some of the Air Ambulance services are looking for 135 mins. Does that hold true when they hire FO's or do they typically want more turbine time, ME, or a type rating with time on type? Will they pay for a type rating if its necessary?
My company uses two pilots in the King Air C90. Our OPSPECS are not authorized for autopilot in lieu of a second in command. All of our flights are operated under 135 IFR so all the time is legitimately loggable.

I was hired as an FO with 2300 TT and 50 ME. They prefer 100 ME but I also had 2000 turbine.

I would hold off from flying air ambulance until you get a decent amount of PIC time, 1000 hours. Try to go in with as much ME time as you can as well. If you want to fly for a reputable air ambulance operator most are CAMTS certified which requires 2000TT 1000 PIC and 500 ME with an ATP in order to be captain. Doesn't sound like a lot but 250 hours a year drags on to reach those upgrade mins.

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Big company, deep pockets, and market share: absolute must haves to survive. Mom and pops are getting regulated away.

Our CA pay broken down per day is within about 5% of yours, but we fly 26 fewer days in a year so our base pay is less (some guys pick up extra flying, I rarely do). Cost of living in TX, OK, and KS is much less than HI, so our standard of living is probably close..... but I get 7 days off rather than 6

I really don't see air ambulance as a path to a major. I'm sure there was "one guy", but realistically, no. In my experience, pilots either do a year and bail, or stick with it for life.

I have first hand knowledge of only one company that used SICs and only in aircraft requiring two pilots. That company would not pay for a rating and wanted time in type. SICs either bailed or hung around long enough to maybe go single pilot.

IF they pay for a type, I'll bet my paycheck there will be a training contract, so keep that in mind.

To maintain CAMTS accreditation, pilots must hold an ATP. Depending on where the 135.293 is done, you might be able to get the ATP during the ride (assuming you have everything else).

A note about CAMTS: there are about a dozen states that require companies to either be CAMTS accredited or a "demonstrated equivalent." Probably more states will follow suit.
Contracts with hospitals may require CAMTS certification as well to transport their patients. Our major contract we have here requires it but the state does not.

Cost of living in Hawaii is double what is in those states you mentioned above. I grew up in Houston and went to college in Oklahoma. For pay to be on par with what you're earning a CA here would need to earn $120K annually here, and believe me we have several pilots pushing for that kind of pay.

I agree with your above statement about either loving it or hating it. I love it and hope to return to it later once I have a resume that is competitive and well rounded.