View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Don't quit. Get involved. Vote.

Tony--you know I respect your opinion. But you are repeatedly defending those who by their actions have demonstrated they really don't have much loyalty down. You have a tremendous amount of loyalty to ALPA, and have seen why its so important. I told you this before--I think you'd be a great part of the NEXT group of ALPA leadership.

I personally think the "right" thing to do is for DW to step down. By diving on the grenade and demonstrating that he is willing to share the sacrifice he might send a message that would help re-unify the union.

I think both the block 7 and block 8 rep should also resign and allow some fresh blood into the mix. If they don't--when there is another election--you can bet there will be some new talent asking for the job. Nothing personal against either guy--but the way to unifying our union is putting some people in the office that guys can rally behind. Right now a lot of guys feel sold out, and I think a change would make it easier to move forward.

I've got a list of names of guys I think would be solid. I imagine most of us know a person or two who'd do a good job. Its time for a change.

That petition that was started by someone else is still open. That recall petition someone asked about is [email protected]. It is a petition to recall Dave Webb. It is bascially worthless, as there are too many layers of insulation between the membership and the MEC chairman. However, its a good chance to vent and if the starter of the petition shows up at an MEC meeting with a list of several hundred (or thousand) names it might at least convey the concern and allow a starting point for some changes.

Again--quitting the union is going to bite us in the @ss when we need each other down the road. However, it is obvious the junior guys are upset and very disenfranchised--I certainly am. What I think we need to do is not ditch our union, but reclaim the union as a union that works for all of us. That will mean some work and a bit more involvement than we've had in the past (yes....I'm guilty) but the choice of FDX ALPA, an independent union, or non member status still favors being a part of ALPA. Its a family fight right now--I'm mad--but I'm not quitting.

However--Dave Webb is just white noise now to me. I'm for any new block rep that promises to A) listen and communicate more with their block and B) rid us of him at the first chance.

Last edited by Albief15; 05-24-2007 at 02:17 PM.