View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Speed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
Wonder what happened?
The same thing that has always happened in DHL world, the same thing that will happen next time. They never make these announcements at the "deadline," so I've come to the conclusion that it's just part of their negotiation tactic. Sure, it's an open bid process, but they are well aware that pilot costs are an expense that is more easily manipulated than others (as opposed to fuel, maintenance, insurance). Setting tight deadlines exerts pressure on the pilot groups and they know that, even though there is no direct negotiation. Fortunately, the pilot groups involved didn't bite this time. However, there is going to be this constant indirect pressure from DHL to bring B767 wages down, and I don't see any way that the pilot groups involved will be able to resist that in the long run. Very unfortunate, since we are flying for a very profitable, very successful carrier.

We'll hear soon enough and I suspect anything is still possible concerning the four aircraft. They could go to any of the carriers mentioned, including staying with ABX. I'm expecting them to be placed elsewhere, but DHL hasn't always gone with the low bidder.