View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 AM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

The contract is generic, and doesn't cover all of the individual nuances of the situation. So , sometimes, the contract screws over a particular pilot in a particular situation. I do not think it is wrong if someone wants to avoid being screwed by the contract, as long as it doesn't negatively affect someone else.

In one situation, I lost about 3 hours of sleep because the company said what I wanted violated the contract...they said the union pressured them to not allow individuals to get what I asked for from the company. What I wanted did not negatively affect anyone. It would have positively affected me, by allowing me three more hours of sleep. It also would have saved the company money. But, it was against the contract, so I got screwed.

I don't want the company screwing me. I don't want the union screwing me, and I don't want the contract screwing me. Any of the above three happens, and I am not happy about that specific situation.

I realize that many people disagree with me, and that the contract needs to be followed all the time, regardless of who it affects negatively. I don't agree.

I would add a clause in the contract that it does not have to be followed, if the exemption is requested by the crewmember, and if the exemption will not cause harm to the company or to other pilots. I do realize that some/many out there don't agree with me.