View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM
toomanyrjs
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by NeverHome View Post
Ive read this thread a bit and decided to throw my $.02 to keep the fire going.

It would seem that everybody considers the regionals entry level positions. There seems to be a bit of a conflict with this though. How can this be entry if we have a supposed "1 level of safety"?

Though we gripe about our pay lets not forget that QOL is also very important. Some folks like more $$, while others like to be home with family more.

Speaking of QOL and pay, Over at C5 the FOs got a substantial raise, because our recruiting and retention was dissmal. Now its just retention. Why? Because QOL is still hurting.

Now before anybody asks, IMHO we do need to stick together as a pilot group. This INCLUDES majors. I do hear many mainline guys talking about this industry going down the tubes. They can help by supporting their regional partners, not by beating them down with the "pay your dues" hammer. Again 1 level of safety.

Again my $.02
"One level of safety" is a meaningless catch phrase thrown around by grand standing politicians. Regional airlines always have been and always will be inferior to any mainline company. Their very existence is predicated on them being the absolute cheapest. This is naturally going to lead to cut corners in hiring and training standards as well as every other aspect of the operation.

If an RJ crew had a dual engine failure on climb out over NYC, the last words on the CVR would have been "dude, we're gonna hit those buildings" just before the stall/spin into lower Manhattan.

There is simply no comparison between mainline and regionals.