View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Uncle. I don’t need another lecture on lanyards or being professional. Just because I found a little humor in this doesn’t mean I’m happy with the pace of events or that I’m not going to wear the lanyard (as I’ve been doing since I got it).

We can still apply some common sense to a situation and remain a “professional”, right?

Let’s say fire fighters felt it was important to wear a lanyard that says “Support your local fire department” and “We hate structure fires”. They wear it every day to work and even off duty around the community. It shows their fellow fire fighters as well as others they encounter a little about their priorities, unity and loyalty.

Do you think they need their lanyard to make all those things clear when the whole company actually shows up at a fire in their firefighting uniform, protective gear, in their fire truck, siren blaring and actually start fighting the fire?

My main point was only that I found lanyard ops slightly amusing and a bit of overkill at these picketing events. I'll still wear it, though. Sorry for my attempt at levity under such dire circumstances.