View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Sigh............an uptick in hiring ALWAYS equates to an uptick is the mil vs. civ d1ck measuring contest.

Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Speaking of the non-normal part - this is where I believe military, and even more so fighter pilots, have a very strong case. All mil guys are produced from the same level of standards when they go through UPT - and the airlines know this level of product. The USAF and USN stress keeping your cool throughout multiple "non-normal" situations, and I believe this does effect a mil guy's ability to deal with stressful situations.
Agree with that. However, the "dark decade" has produced, well, just that. A decade + of civ pilots (doesn't matter RJ, LCC, ACMI, whatever) that have more than likely dealt with "keep your cool" situations. An emergency (or two, or three). Multiple training events, etc. They ALSO dealt with crappy/hostile managements, crappy dispatchers and schedulers and having to do TONS of logistical support themselves, whatever. Jesus, some companies, EVERY day is a "non normal" day. Whether it's the constant schedule changes, constant MX issues, displacements, furloughs, etc.

Also, keep this in mind, especially with regards to your core points. For RIGHT HERE, and RIGHT NOW, if the points you mentioned were truly what the airlines wanted 100% of time, you wouldn't see a SINGLE civ/RJ pilot with NO TPIC getting hired. Because AGAIN, for RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW, there's still a TON of very experienced well rounded civ pilots that are ALSO very qualified, TPIC/LCA/CP, whatever. As well as do things like go and drive old ladies around on their days off.

Now in that SAME regard, you ALSO wouldn't see a single guard/reserve pilot (non tactical/single seat) that has been through training, and has a civ job on the side to build his total yet has NO PIC/AC being hired EITHER. Yeah, they may have 4-500 hours of mil training and flight time (the BEST KIND OF TIME TO HAVE, NO ARGUMENT) but they don't have any AC time, no IP/EP time. IOW, much of the experience you pointed out that makes a mil pilot valuable. It circles BACK around, reading these boards and others, combined with A LOT of guys I know. For RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW, there's a A LOT of mil pilots, with A LOT of boxes checked (IP/EP/NATOPS/Masters/High GPA's) that are STILL waiting on a call.

And please don't think that civilian guys are inferior by any means…my response is a rebuttal to the sophomoric post above only.
Same applies if you respond to my post.

BOTH demographics bring qualities to the table. And the airlines recognize BOTH those demographics qualities and seek them. As much pain/discomfort is may cause people to read, sorry, NOBODY's d1ck is bigger.

And in regards to the guys that exploit orders, it's just like EVERYTHING else. A very small percentage of people can screw it up for the majority of people. I've flown with guys that have used it to get out of a crappy reserve schedule or may have needed more nights at home, etc. They had ZERO reservations about telling me.