View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
calcapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Smile response

ryane946

I read an interesting study years ago where shoppers pulling into a walmart parking lot were observed and later interviewed. The individuals conducting the study were fascinated by what they found. One interesting aspect of the study showed how most of the shoppers would not even attempt to find a spot near the front of the store because they felt there would be no good spots available. They didn't even try despite the fact that there were usually good spots to be had. As shoppers were later interviewed about their parking habits a surprising number complained about the lack of good parking and the distance they had to walk to the store. The researchers determined that a high percentage of the folks who parked out in the back of the lot had a generally poor attitude about success and life in general. The shoppers who were driving to the front of the store and getting the good spots were generally more upbeat about life and had an overall more positive attitude.

Sorry for the long post but this story has alot of parallels with getting a good flying job today. There are good jobs to be had. Pilots are getting hired every day. It's not just the cream of the crop who are getting the jobs or the ones who know someone. A recent new hire at my airline did not even have any college (almost unheard of today) and was hired over certainly more qualified candidates (as numbers go). He didn't know a single pilot here either. I talked with a pilot who sat on his review board and was told that they (the board) felt he had a special quality about him that would offset any shortage of college. I fly with new guys on a regular basis and the one thing that they mostly have in common is that they all have a positive attitude and they all busted their @ss to get here. For the most part they are a happy bunch with little "I'm owed something" attitude. They didn't listen to all their peers who told them that they would never get through the interview, or how many resumes were already ahead of them or how their flight time or what they flew would not be good enough. They didn't listen to any of that - they just worked hard and did the best that they could and surprise - THEY GOT THE JOB! They kept working hard! When they got knocked down - they got up!

I honestly believe that hard work, perseverance and a positive attitude will win out almost every time over just numbers on a resume. It is not a perfect world and sometimes the most deserved are passed over; however, in most cases, the ones who work the hardest and maintain a positive attitude are the ones who will prevail in the end. Probably the same guys and gals who head to the front of the parking lot when they shop.

Last edited by calcapt; 02-14-2006 at 09:45 AM.