View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 PM
shoelu
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by JLDWC View Post
Hi guys,

I am at a very fortunate but tough decision, I've been offered to fly Dash8's with a 2 year upgrade or E170's with a 6-7 year upgrade that's supposedly dwindling down to 4-5 year upgrades. I already have 800ish hours in jets and 1000+ PIC hours mostly in light single and twin pistons. However, I am trying to set my self up for whatever is best 3-5 years down the road when applying to a major. Would it be better to have the heavier jet time with a glass cockpit in the E170, probably around 3000 hours worth after 4 years or the 1000+ 121 PIC turboprop after 2 years?? Now both would most likely provide the base I want, however the Dash pays $7 an hour more first year. I am hung up on what the majors would prefer more, the glass cockpit jet time or 121 PIC time?? Thanks for your input!
Originally Posted by scudrunner13 View Post
Absolutely, sorry my old Username "JLDWC" has me locked out.

I have a B.S in Aviation Management
I'm currently an assistant chief pilot for a 135 charter company
I am type rated in LRJET and LR60
A little over 2000 total time, 800 in jets, 40 PIC in the LRJET..just made captain
Flown KingAir 90's, King Air 200s, Lear 35 and Lear 60

Thanks for your help!
It sounds like you are well on your way. Most likely you are currently lacking PIC turbine and total time to be a competitive applicant at a major.

If you just made Lear captain, have you considered staying put and racking up turbine PIC and total time where your at? 121 experience would probably help diversify your resume but I would bet 2000 PIC jet time would get you farther than jumping ship and starting as an SIC again even though it is 121 time.