View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

So you've got a Lear PIC job? Make three future resumes based on the best projections you can come up with.

Lear PIC Dash FO, then CA in 2-3 yrs E- FO for 4-6yrs, CA in 5-7.

Compare the resumes at the 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 yr marks.

Example is Lear 300 hrs/yr. In three years you'd have 1000 hrs jet PIC, and another 1000 hrs on top of your current TT.

You might, or might not, be a Dash 8 CA by then. What does that resume look like?

And you'd still be an E-170 FO. With no TPIC time. Does that stand out vs. the first two jobs?

I had a corporate PIC job as a young, young guy. Took a huge pay cut to go back to lousy commuter FO pay. The CA's wanted to be my FO at the corporation. They didn't get that I quit as CA to be THEIR FO!?!? The fact was my resume had tons of qualifications but my TT was low so I fixed that weakness. Stepping back allowed my to qualify for my next job a year later. It wouldn't have happened if I'd stayed at the corporation. Would I have made it to the majors when I did if I hadn't taken the step backwards when I did? Hard to say but my resume would have been weaker due to low TT.

Needless to say I'm a big fan of fixing weaknesses. Many of the successful guys(senior/hired young) guys were aggressive in their careers. IMO they value that drive and appreciate it when they see it on an application.

The best advice I heard about getting hired was"have a passion for this business". Figure out how to show that on your resume and when you tell your story in an interview.