View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 12:46 AM
PurpleTail
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by av8npnut View Post
Absolutely true! I have been here 14 years and IMO, the work environment has changed, and not for the better. Why is that? It should be better. The company is experiencing record stock prices, record volumes & record profit. I do know that the ACPs who seemed to be pilot advocates are no longer working in management. They've been run off for some reason.

I wonder how many pilots with employee numbers of 400K-600K are satisfied with their career progression? I realize that much of that progression is out of the company's control, but some of it is the direct result of company and ALPA decisions. Understand that I am thankful for this job and the opportunities it has afforded me, especially after the events of 9/11 and its effect on our industry. However, I would be dishonest if I did not say that I am disappointed with this stall tactic and the ridiculous proposals by the company when FedEx is doing so well. All of those records I mentioned above are positive, and you would think that in keeping with the Purple Promise, the company would want to pass some of that profit to us, the line pilots, who contribute so much to make it happen each day. Why they are trying to sell us on an inferior contract in this environment is a mystery to me.

I've heard we have over 800 pilots that could retire whenever they want. That is a lot. However, this large retirement percentage is not unique to us. The retirement numbers are massive at DAL, AAL, & UAL and the environment is much different than it was pre 9/11. All of the majors are hiring and will continue to hire well into the future. If the company takes away retirement and jams PIBS down my throat, I'm not sure I will want to stay.

Somewhere along the line, the Express side has become a little arrogant IMO. The notion that every pilot wishes he/she was working at FedEx is just not true anymore. I think it was true maybe two or three years ago, but not today. The folks that I know who are on the street looking for jobs have contacted me because they need work, but FedEx is not necessarily their number one choice. The company’s contract proposals are a significant reason for their choices. I can't say I blame them.
+1. I am right there with you and just as frustrated. I can no longer recommend FedEx as a desirable place to work or fly. I have told my friends to look elsewhere. I use to enjoy my job here but management has become so adversarial I can't stand going to work these days. It seems like all they want to do is screw with us. No more going the extra mile or minute or bending over backwards...for what? We bust are arses every stinking night for this company and we can't get rewarded for our efforts while the company makes record profits and the stock is at an all time high?!

Thanks Fedex, much appreciated. Horrible.