View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
CitationJason
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO

Medfly:

At my company we are never on call from home unless we have a shift that falls on a holiday. The way it works is we work 12 hour shifts, four days in a row, two day shifts and two night shifts. We have pagers and the hospital transport center pages us when a flight comes up. I guess it's a form of being on call, but we are already at the hangar during our shift. We have a pilots quarters area with two crew rooms, a kitchenette, and office/ living room type setup with TV, DVD, VCR, computers, etc. So it's not really like being on call since you're already there, so it's not like you can't make plans or anything, since you are already planning on being at work. If you were to work at a company like mine, then your times would qualify you for captain. A lot of EMS services use King Air series aircraft so that would probably make your qualifications even more attractive. I would reccomend trying to find an EMS operator with the CAMTS accreditation. CAMTS is the Commision on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems. They set stringent guidelines for the hospitals and the 135 operators that help create a structure of safety and increased internal oversight. Just do a google search for Fixed Wing Air Ambulance Operators, and you'll find numerous listings. I hope this helps.

CJ