Any EMS Pilots Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO
Default Any EMS Pilots Out There?

Hey Guys:

I am currently flying for a Part 135 EMS outfit in a Citation II, and I was curious if there was anybody else looking at these threads in the same position. If so, chime in and tell us what you fly, and let's start taking care of each other through good networking. I look forward to the success of this new Forum.

CJ
Old 02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

EMS, as in lifeguard flights? I'd like to know your take on it personally. My FBO gets a number of air ambulances every week, especially this time of year for some reason.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default EMS in SEA

I use to fly EMS in SEA in a 550. It was a ruff job with low pay and constant midnight wake ups. In the end we averaged around 200 hours a year and upgrade times were 10+ years or not at all. I got out after a year.

SkyHigh
Old 02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO

I personally enjoy flying lifegaurd, but I know it won't be the final stop on my career train. It sounds like sky high is describing my job in detail. For me, right now, it is not a bad job. The 3:00 AM page to a uncontrolled middle of nowhere airport kinda' stinks, but it's what you get paid to do. Our pay scale is average to below average for the North Texas area in a Citation. I say that as a description, not a complaint. I knew what I was getting into. It seems to me that for a first officer, it can be a good resume' builder. I wouldn't do it for more than a year or so if you are only getting 150 to 200 hours like we are, but to get some 135 jet time is respectable. I certainly will never reach the insurance mins to upgrade in a reasonable time. If I were a 50+ pilot looking for fewer hours, but a full time job, it is PERFECT. We have a couple of those guys and they think it is great. Our schedule is four on and four off, so you only work half the year. That's my take on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Furloughed

How can I get a hold of these companies? I live in the SEA area and would love to find a job in Washington, California, Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho or Montana. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Flight Instructor

Hello. I am an aspiring professional pilot. I have never heard of EMS services with jet aircraft. Maybe its not big in the southeast. I am a police officer and am looking at flying for law enforcement. Could you tell me a little about EMS flying? WHats the pay like? WHat are the hours like? Iread the above post and it gave some good info. It sounds interesting. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Line Holder

Position: Captain of my leather sofa

Originally Posted by N6724G
Hello. I am an aspiring professional pilot. I have never heard of EMS services with jet aircraft. Maybe its not big in the southeast. I am a police officer and am looking at flying for law enforcement. Could you tell me a little about EMS flying? WHats the pay like? WHat are the hours like? Iread the above post and it gave some good info. It sounds interesting. Thank you.
I dont know about the southeast, however, I know a little about the Alaska and the northwest. Recently, In the Anchorage Daily Newspaper there was a job. The job was flying a Citation out of Kectchican(sp) which is closer to Sea than ANC. The job was week on week off and started FOs at 35k a yr. If I remember correctly the minimums were pretty low. I dont remember the name of the company but I think the headquaters were out of Oregon or Washington.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:05 AM
Line Holder

Position: Captain of my leather sofa

Originally Posted by N6724G
Sorry, I think EMS is an acronym for Emergency Medical Services; not quite sure though. I do know that they fly medivac flights forsure. For an example: if someone had a major medical need in southeast Alaska, EMS would be dispatched and be flown to SEA.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Flight Instructor

I know what EMS stands for. I meant I wsnt sure of the aviation terms,like airport codes. I dont know them all. So, EMS flights are similar to what Angel flights do? Is that correct?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Ems

Originally Posted by FL410
How can I get a hold of these companies? I live in the SEA area and would love to find a job in Washington, California, Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho or Montana. Thanks in advance.

EMS can really be a dead end and I wouldn't advise it at all. Not only will you never upgrade but you will only get between 100 and 200 hours a year. The airlines will think that you are too soft to work a regular airline schedule. It can really be a career killer.

SkyHigh