Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any EMS Pilots Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Beech 1900 PIC

Your company sounds like a pretty good place to work. I'm used to the 14 hour duty days. It happens all the time around here. Reserve days are always 14 hours and most of the time our regular flying days are too. It's not bad if we fly all day but when it's fly and sit and fly again it kind of sucks.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

Originally Posted by CapRon1900 View Post
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm currently working as a captain at a regional flying a -1900 but I really want to get in to the air medical field. Anybody have tips for companies to look into in the Northwest or Northern California? Also, firedup and skualo3 who do you work for? Both of you sound like you have my dream job!
Cap Ron,
I fly for a company on the east coast. It is a nice job but not a time builder like the previous post. we might fly 300 - 350 hours a year (per pilot, there are 18 of us) King air B200's and citation 5 / ultra. PM me and I can give you more details
Old 11-18-2006, 05:58 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Beech 1900 PIC

Hey Firedup!
Thanks for the post. I'm definately interested in more information but the site won't let me PM you. Here's my e-mail address. [email protected]. Just take out the no-spam. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Just thought I would revive this post again...

I also am definately interested in the air ambulance side of aviation. Was wondering if anyone had any more information out there? I dont mind being away from home for extensive periods of time, or the whole "living out of a suitcase" lifestyle.

More-so just kinda interested in getting into the EMS industry. 910TT 101ME, 0 Turbine experience.

Ya can PM or i'll post my email if anyone has any info!

Thanks!

-Imp
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I have been in the EMS industry for 12 years, 6 as a Paramedic, and 6 as a Pilot. The good thing about EMS, at least the job I work for, is you have VERY little time away from home. The trips are usually 2 to 3 legs. Some of the longer trips may require an overnight. 14 hour duty time.

Its a very rewarding job, and I think its fun. We have 2 Citation 5 / ultra's, and 2 King Air B200's.
I dont know your time, but I recomend getting as much turboprop time as you can. Offer your self out as a free right seater to gain some experience.
Most outfits will want about 1500 hours or so...
PM me if you have any other questions...
Hope this helps
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks it does help. Im unable to PM at the moment, but I also have zero turbine time.

Coming up on 1000TT so I suppose I should hop over to a regional and grab some Turbine time.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Airplane Driver

"Coming up on 1000TT so I suppose I should hop over to a regional and grab some Turbine Time."
Their is a little more to it then that.
I am a pilot in the southeast, GA, and I am close to the 135 mins. If anyone has any info of desirable fixed wing EMS companies, would you please PM me and let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
Thanks it does help. Im unable to PM at the moment, but I also have zero turbine time.

Coming up on 1000TT so I suppose I should hop over to a regional and grab some Turbine time.
That depends on if you want to do airline work. I didn't want to work near the poverty level, so I went a different route. I would suggest that you look for someone that has a turbine of some sort and see if you could ride right seat for them for a while. You may have to do it for free, but if you get a hundred hours or so, it may be enough to get you in the door. work towards your 135 mins and see what you can find. You're almost there.
Google "air ambulance companies" and start sending resume's to each one of them with a follow-up call. I would suggest you run some checks or cargo in a small twin to get multi time, that is necessary also.
(we hired 2 pilots from a local company who did check runs)
I wish you the best...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

The way I was thinking is...by the time this season is over for photography, I will have over 1000PIC, and will have the 1200TT 135mins....I am however short on my night requirement, but that can easily be gained when ferrying our aircraft. I logged 15 hours just coming to SFO....i should have done that at night.

I was thinking that with the way regionals are hiring...it wouldnt necessarily be a bad idea to go to one for a year and grab some SIC turbine time, then re-evaluate my options with much better qualifications.

Im definately keeping my options open, and have been looking at some cargo...mainly ameriflight...but that schedule seems like it would be pretty rough. I've never flown in a crew environment, so I feel confident single-pilot...havent done any night IFR, and only have 80hrs instrument.

But I took your advice, and did quite a few searches and research today. Called a few places, and one of them to my surprise wanted 4500-8000TT. The chief pilot was really nice and told me to send my resume anyway, and he would see if there were any other jobs out there he could suggest.

One of my friends got hired last august by a lifeguard op out of florida that fly's Lear 35's...and he started right seat with them, with only 850 total. Right place at the right time =)

I think im more-so just sick of flying a 172, but I have a few more months until our season ends, so ill continue to do research, and try to go to a respectable new job. I really dont know anyone who has any kind of turbine aircraft that I could right seat for free.

Thanks a bunch for the input firedup.

-Imp
Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

ImperialxRat check your PM...