Any EMS Pilots Out There?

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any EMS Pilots Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Say Again Over

I worked at some Air Ambulance operations and really enjoyed working with the crews, equipment was well maintained and the job is rewarding, the down side would be for people trying to advance to the majors, not too much flying, your area of operation is usually pretty small.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B737 FO

Hey SlingAir,

Any chance of you guys adding any more airplanes? If I'm correct the -200 in your program is fairly new. Any more coming? Thanks for any info.

LAXFO
-G-
Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: LJ60 part 135
Default Ems

I flew EMS in C421's and Citations. The pay was not bad and the schedule was decent. Most Jet Medical flights are non-emergency (going home to die, transfer from one facility to another). Most emergent EMS flights are done with short distances in helicopters.

I was a Flight nurse on helicopters and fixed wing transports for > 20 years and one day decided to stay up front. If you have any specific questions, let me know. You might try two sites:

http://www.flightweb.com (EMS ground, rotor and fixed-wing forum/web page with employment and program location descriptions)

http://www.nemspa.org/Show_All_Jobs.php (National EMS Pilot's Association lists jobs, publishes articles and so on)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Why?

Originally Posted by atprn
I flew EMS in C421's and Citations. The pay was not bad and the schedule was decent. Most Jet Medical flights are non-emergency (going home to die, transfer from one facility to another). Most emergent EMS flights are done with short distances in helicopters.

I was a Flight nurse on helicopters and fixed wing transports for > 20 years and one day decided to stay up front. If you have any specific questions, let me know. You might try two sites:

http://www.flightweb.com (EMS ground, rotor and fixed-wing forum/web page with employment and program location descriptions)

http://www.nemspa.org/Show_All_Jobs.php (National EMS Pilot's Association lists jobs, publishes articles and so on)

Why would you do that? I was an EMS pilot and the Flight Nurses earned three times what our highest pilot made.

ShyHigh
Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

Medivac: Good for a family guy that can be at home with a pager.

In Alaska, it's also good for being exposed to all kinds of things we here in the states have forgotten about (TB, to start with).

There are a lot of guys that use this as a pre-retirement gig. It's definitely not a job for the ladder-climbing time builder! For some, it's the perfect fit. Those that have a perfect fit job are not usually spending time on these boards looking at job ops! LOL!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Beech 1900 PIC

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm currently working as a captain at a regional flying a -1900 but I really want to get in to the air medical field. Anybody have tips for companies to look into in the Northwest or Northern California? Also, firedup and skualo3 who do you work for? Both of you sound like you have my dream job!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005

CapRon, I would trade in a New York Minute!

I am trying to get on the International Cargo industry, i have been looking at a few outfits but still no luck..

The positive side is that i am building Jet PiC, which in the long run will (hopefully) allow me to move up in the industry...
PM me for details, but be aware, a lot of operator cut corners left and right, and the planes aren`t getting any younger..
I`ll ask in the office if they have any names of companies based out there

Sk3
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

I'm new to this forum, this thread actually caused me to register. I fly air ambulance for a company in the southeast. I currently fly F/o in our Lear 24D. It is true the schedule can suck, basically no hard time off unless it is planned in advance, best analogy would be your schedule is you have no schedule. That being said, almost all of my trips are day trips, home almost every night, fly with great people, harldy ever the same airport, the lear is almost has fun as sex,and in our peak season I might work 20 days a month. We get up early and fly hard, an average day might be 8-9 hours flight time with 4-5 legs. My first year I flew close to 1000 hours, this year will be about the same. If you have any questions please ask.

Rich
Old 11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Beech 1900 PIC

What company do you work for? I'm looking for something that keeps me busy flying a lot but home a lot too. Being home almost every night is appealing to me more and more! I don't mind having no schedule too much as long as I'm flying. What kind of hours do you work? Is it up early and home relatively early or up early and home late? Thanks for the post!

Ron
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

We are very small, three airplanes. 90 percent up early. 14 hours of duty is not uncommon. Sometimes it's sit and wait, others it's fly fly fly.. We do have the occasional pop-up trip on weekends and late in the day. Speaking of pop-ups. As I was writing this reply we popped an urgent trip. I showered, hauled ass out the door.....Trip canceled. Nature of the beast. We also do Federal Prison trips.