Thread: DAL Poolie Info
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Denny Crane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
Absolutely. In that example, the two would likely only be one number apart anyway, with the "junior" one getting an extra 6 months at the top of the scale in a senior plane etc. Likewise, there could be a 20 year age difference in a class. Nothing wrong whatsoever with letting the older pilot get a few numbers since s/he would have to punch out decades sooner. It really is the fairest way to do it, young buck mini windfall notwithstanding.
Well, lets face it, the most we are talking about is 50 or so seniority numbers in a class, so that's what we are talking about. I'll give you a personal example. I was number 22 out of 26 in my class based on age. The last guy who got into the MD-11 in PDX was in my class and 15 numbers senior to me. I commuted to it in Atlanta...

Like I said, all we are talking about is probably 50 numbers (75 if there is a class that big). So why not take age out of the equation? I just feel like, in the past, age has reared its ugly head a number of times (seniority number, Claim, Note, and targeted DC plan) and I've come out on the short end of the stick. Is it my fault I got hired at a younger age than others (29)? I don't think so. I think it should be a random selection and ssn is just as good as any other.

I'm certainly not bitter about anything. I just disagree with the age thing.

Denny