Otto
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2013
  • Position
    Turkish Pile Driver
Cut for brevity...

Quote: ...

Down south the biggest pilot ghettos are PTC, Fayetteville and Newnan. If I had to do it again, I'd look a lot harder at Newnan - we end up driving over there several times a week for various reasons (shopping, kids activities, etc) because PTC has relatively little shopping beyond groceries, Walmart and Home Depot.

PTC is great for what it is (families) but is a strange mix of younger families and retirees, or near retirees - all which add up to pretty much everything closes at 8-9pm. No nightlife to speak of, if that interests you. The school's are great, lots of activities for the kids, and plenty of cart paths to run, bike, walk the dog...

Can't speak for most of the rest of ATL, but you want to keep a close eye on the schools if you have kids. Make sure you find a nice school district (that is trending upwards) or be willing to pay for private schools.
Quote: I would get a north and a south realtor. They are going to know their respective area better than just pulling up FMLS listings that meet your criteria.

Quote: Have lived PTC/Newnan(Sharpsburg actually) for 26 years and concur with LieneLodge. Can't give any expert first hand info on the north side, except OMG the traffic can be a nightmare.

Lot more house for the $ on the south side. West Point is too far and the lake is nasty. Even the bubbas catch and release.

My house on 10 acres is going on the market soon, PM me if you want details.
Thanks all, great information. Unless I can find a steal on one of the northern lakes I'm probably going to go south side. I'll probably get 1 realtor to just check out lake homes and another for south side homes. PTC's high school is good enough, but I'm having trouble finding new home builders directly in PTC -- is the area completely built out already?

Newnan looks good property-wise, but for the most part other than Northgate the high schools don't look very good. The schools are definite deal-breakers since I'll have 1 in high school immediately, and a 2nd to follow in 2016.

Dirtdriver, thanks for the inputs on West Point Lake, makes my search a bit more easy to manage. Also good reminder about the traffic. If I was willing to put up with nightmare traffic then I'd probably move to LA instead of ATL . I'll send you a PM, a nice house on 10 acres in a good school district sounds interesting.

Also looking for any recommendations for awesome realtors folks here have used in the past.

Thanks!