Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by KNOT on CALL View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've got about 30-35 years to retirement and I'm trying to forecast the unforecastable, I know... However, I'm trying to look BACK 30 years to help me see what 30 years from now COULD look like in the payscale dept.

I don't want this thread to turn into a doom-and-gloom, nor a "pilotless-cockpit-by-then" kind of thread. Lets blissfully assume for a moment there will be 2 pilots in every cockpit for the next 50 years.

I do want help, however, in finding accurate documentation of actual pay rates of various major airlines pilot pay scals for the early to mid 1980s to compare to today. I am not looking for equivilant/adjusted-for-inflation numbers, just raw pay rates and min guarantee credit hour information. I can factor in my own inflation calculations on my own.

So if anyone out there has any info on this I'd appreciate the help!

(United, Delta, American, TWA, N.W., ...the big guys, past or present...)

Cheers
KonC
I was a new hire at Delta in 1985. Our first year pay was a flat rate of $1,800/month regardless of how much you flew, which works out to $21,600/yr. before taxes. Everyone went to the 727 Engineer seat to begin. After a couple years depending on which base you were in, you might get to the back seat of the DC8 or L10-11, or right seat of the DC9.

The cap was 75 hours a month, which meant flying 4 three day trips, or 3 four day trips, i.e. 12 days flying per month.

Second year pay on the 727 engineer seat, on the B scale, was about $28/hr. After three years on the panel, (1988) I got to the right seat of the 727, which I think paid about $48/hr. again, B scale wages. At 75 hrs./month, that is $43,200/yr.