Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Pilotdude3407
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Don't let anyone fool you. The reason regional CAs say stuff like "FOs with not pic should not get hired before a CA" is merely because they are angry that they have had to endure 7-10yrs of FO/CA stuff and they should get to go first because they have paid their dues and "you" haven't. While I do think upgrading teaches you a lot more than what being an FO has, certainly any regional FO would do fine at major and there is no real reason they shouldn't be afforded that opportunity. I'm in the same boat and to be honest I get the same feeling. 2008-2012 it was all about "Turbine PIC". If you wanted to go anywhere halfway decent, you needed it. It was the holy grail. So during that whole time I'm sitting as an FO with no hope of going anywhere else until I get "my thousand". After 6.5yrs in the right seat, I finally upgrade and am trucking right on towards my 1000 and sure as crap, now places are offering spots to FOs. It's chaps me a little bit, but only because I'm being a 4yr old who doesn't get the toy they wanted and think life is not fair. Truth be told, I would much rather see any regional FO make it to a major before a military guy. While that statement was flame bait, let me clarify and say that military guys are fine and they certainly have sacrificed a lot in their life, but I think they would make better major pilots if they spent a year in the regionals. I flown with several military pilots who came from single seat fighter to heavy lift and all of them have become the most humble people I know. Most had been told by their buddies about coming straight to WN, DAL, UAL, AA, etc but they couldn't because they rode a desk for a little too long, so they had to go to a regional and get currency. All of them have a life long perspective of how the other half live now and it is impressive to watch them. So, I think military people should go to the majors...after a year of some regional flying, which all of us know is no joke and probably more demanding than any major domestic schedule. Anyway, that is my long winded rant.