View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

[QUOTE= Personally, I like the way American Airlines handled that issue. If someone junior to you checked out as a Captain, or you were gone.[/QUOTE]

JetJok, not entirely true.

Formerly at American, the 1 year Clock was correct, but there also had to be a Bid to allow you to Bid Captain at the end of that year.

Furthermore, it was base specific. In other words, if you were a Senior FO in the JR base of NYC and the 1 year clock hit, you could Bid to ORD or LAX and still be an FO if that was your Cup of Tea.

Also if you elected to stay in the same base at the 1 year clock, once you upgraded to Captain, you could down bid and remain a Senior FO.

I know it has been a while since your flying actively. The FDX schedules are so Brutal when you are Junior, much more so than 6-10 years ago. QOL trumps $$ for most of us.

Personally, I prefer having a Senior very experienced FO in my Cockpit and I haven't had an issue.

Actually what often happens is the Very Senior FO usually ends up flying with a very very Junior and very inexperienced Captain
on a 10 day international trip and says, well I guess its finally time to upgrade.

Rhetorical? ..... Using your analogy, Do you also think a very Senior NB Captain (or NB FO) should be forced to upgrade to WB Captain (or FO) when someone JR to them checks out as WB Captain (or FO)?