View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 AM
OceanCrosser
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: A350 Captain (RET)

Originally Posted by orvil View Post
This guy doesn't want to hear about how much you can fly. He is fatigued. He wants to know if he is going to be abused. The answer is no, nothing like you are experiencing in the sandpit. Is that kind of flying going to kill you? The answer is yes. Sooner rather than later.

How little can you fly? I am a captain. I live in base. I'm in the top 40% in my category. At my airline, seniority on reserve is a factor in assignments. I bid reserve most months. I am usually the top 2 or 3 guy on reserve. They tend not to use me. I took a look at my hours this past year. I am averaging 22 hard hours each month. My monthly guarantee exceeds what I could hold as a line holder some months. I make good money. If I sit home most of the month, I may put in for selective overtime flying. But, not usually.

I like staying home. I know how to fly. It doesn't define me. I feel great. My health is good. I sleep well. I have a good quality of life.

I considered going to Emirates very seriously during 2006/2007. I decided to wait to see if my company closed the doors. They didn't. I didn't have to go. It worked out for me.

My advice would be to interview at all three US legacies. See who calls. You might be surprised that you are very popular. Give it a shot. Let us know how it turns out. If you have questions about the interview process, just ask. We will try to help. Good luck.

Orvil,

Your moniker may depict "decoupled" however you are truly engaged! You truly have broken the code!

Me thinks you even have a low handicap too!

All the best,

OC