Thread: Atlanta living?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 PM
orvil
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Decoupled

My wife is an Atlanta native. She insisted that we locate on the south side of Atlanta. She didn't want me to face the traffic that life on the north side entailed. Much to my relief, she gave up the shopping that downtown Atlanta offers.

Fayette County is okay. The schools score marginally better than Coweta. But, northern Fayette is suffering from the same sort of pressures that Clayton County is experiencing.

If you want 20 to 30 year old planned living with golf carts and HOA's, Peachtree City can't be beat. It is clean, you can raise children there and it's easy to get to the airport. I find it a little sterile. The schools are reputed to be excellent. If you want private school, Woodward Academy by the airport is very good and there is school bus service to Peachtree City.

While a little farther south, Newnan is the same time to the airport. It retains a lot of it's own identity. Be sure to go down to the square, have lunch and take the driving tour of the historic neighborhoods. Most people get off the interstate and don't realize downtown Newnan is 3 miles south. Lots of southern charm. Atlanta hasn't swallowed it up. You have golf course communities, lake communities, ante bellum homes, or true rural living. We have a very fine non-denominational private school, Heritage, in Newnan. I give myself 35 minutes to the parking lot.

If you go even farther south, you can look at LaGrange and lake living. But, it's at least a one hour drive. I can't tell you anything about the schools.

Even farther down 85, you are across the state line. Auburn is 2.5 hours to the airport.

If you are a golfer, the conglomerate Cannongate Golf Clubs is a great deal. If you like to shoot, we have some great sporting clay facilities available, also.