View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Vito
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757/767 Capt

To help the original poster, concerning jumpseating to BFI and BWI. Before you call a taxi ask one of the other jumpseaters or crew if they can give you a ride to the Pax side. I do it all the time for jumpseaters when I can and it takes me all of 2 minutes.
As for UPSpilot, you really are pretty miserable, and I understand, to a point!, about how much it sucked being furloughed, but **** happens and a lot worse **** happens to many others here, like sick kids, suicides, and other messed up isues that pale in comparison to being furloughed (especially if your single)
As for your disparaging remark about mid 1990's hires being somehow less qualified than others who went to the "majors" your dead wrong. I'm a Jan 1995 hire, and I'd gladly put up my 1995 resume against yours and probably make yours look silly. Second, In late 1994, early 1995 there were only 3 airlines hiring at the time, United just started, Southwest, and UPS. If you had half a brain in your head at the time, United was not anybody's first choice...for many reasons (they hired approximately 300 pilots with 10,000 plus on the list. plus the low-fare in-house start-ups like TED, and SONG (DELTA)were less than promising) Southwest was a viable option, but the real promise was this new fangled, interesting concept called the "Internet" and there were 2 airlines that stood to make a fortune from it: UPS and FedEx.......Many of us saw the potential and overlooked the sub-standard pay here at UPS for a potentially very profitable future (which turned out to be true for us, maybe not so much for your time period). So don't be too quick to dismiss 1990's hires as slugs who couldn't get a real airline job.
I hope your future here gets brighter, I think it will, be patient. When I was making $56/hr in 1998 I wasn't too happy either, but things improved. Now go and say a prayer for some of those sick kids, and stop your whining!