Thread: DAL Poolie Info
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM
TED74
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Flying Elvis View Post
The computer is definitely a write-off for the portion you can justify as purchased for business use. Same as for mobile phone. I am writing off 100% of the laptop, and 50% of my mobile phone bills for 2014, because I think I can very easily justify that.

Even though audits are rarer than before, just realize that if you are transitioning to a new career, moving, retiring from mil, etc, you are doing a lot of "out of the ordinary" things that make you a higher risk for it. Definitely claim everything for which you're eligible, but document, document, document.

A common misconception is that small business write-offs are all beneficial. Realize that only those (authorized) expenses THAT EXCEED 2% OF YOUR AGI do you any good. For most newbies making 70k, that's no problem after training expenses, uniforms, etc.. But depending on your income the REST of the calendar year in which you get hired (think USAF VSP bonus), or the income of your spouse, $4,000 of business "write-offs" may net you almost no tax savings.

I'm no archeologist, so take my tax advice with a grain of salt.