View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post

Additionally, TacAir looks like fun, but for the airlines you're better off flying C-17s, KC-135s/10s or even C-130s.
Right and dead wrong. On the correct side, fighters are fun and a lot of hard work. Dead wrong picking one (fixed wing) airframe over another thinking you have a better chance at being hired or doing the job better. I will admit I probably had a couple extra hurdles to clear having never flown a large airplane before, but the training you get is designed to overcome that. I feel very comfortable where I am now and don't think I am any better or worse in my current job because I happened to fly fighters before.

Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
It it true that a fighter guy can move to C-17 (for example) down the road but a C-17 guy (UPT into C-17's) cannot move to fighters.

I think I heard that somewhere
Without T-38 training in UPT the chances of moving from a heavy to fighter are incredibly low. Going from fighter to heavy AD is also very difficult because of the current fighter pilot shortage. I agree with F15Cricket, lose your ejection seat qual or go guard/reserve and the transition is definitely possible.

Originally Posted by FLY6584 View Post

I'll tell you you're wrong now. Lol.
Touche' sir. I should have caveated 'worried about the airlines' with and 'lets his IPs and classmates in on his grand plans'. In all seriousness, UPT is challenging and often painful. For most, the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of those USAF wings is what gets you through the difficult times -- it is far more challenging if that light is a pinprick 10 years down the road in the form of a line number at a major.