View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 AM
WEACLRS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce
Great discussion guys. Just wanted to get some clarification with WEACLRS' statement.

If I were a commercial pilot, owned a Chieftain, and wanted to engage in private carriage of cargo only with no more than 3 contracts. Is it legal for me to offer the transportation to 3 selected (by me; I'd seek the customers) companies? or would that be considered holding out?

Thanks
You are holding out. You are seeking customers. That activity is not listed in 119.1(e). So its probably part 135. But why push it? If you meet the flight time experience, you'll find getting a single pilot part 135 cert not that tough (especially if you intend to only carry cargo and your op specs end up reflecting that) and you'll learn a lot about the FAA. They will lead you through the process. You will also find getting insurance without the part 135 cert next to impossible.

You bring up an interesting question though. Can private carriage apply to cargo? Let me look into that...

Ok. I've spent a few minutes with the FAR's. In this discussion thread anywhere we have said "persons" can be replaced with "property" (including cargo) and the answer would be the same. So (I think) private carriage can apply to cargo, but not in the scenario you presented above, but as we have discussed before (private corporate pilot carrying company cargo for his boss in the company aircraft). There are some specific regs in part 135 and 121 that apply to cargo-only, and operations that are both cargo and persons, but the foundation is the same.

So if you owned your own Chieftain as a company aircraft and incidental to your company you needed to transport company materials somewhere, your employed pilot could do that private carriage. If you owned your own Chieftain as a company aircraft and wanted to help pay for it by finding (contracting, advertising, soliciting, etc) other company's cargo to carry, now I believe you are holding out and at least part 135 applies.

Last edited by WEACLRS; 02-20-2006 at 09:22 AM.