Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 AM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by NERD View Post
No kidding. I'm actually the same weight as high school but it's shifted But according to the chart I need to gain 55 lbs to reach a BMI of 35. Guess I can stop at cinabon today
Here's the thing, even if you're 5'5" and 50 lbs away from BMI 35, you're still overweight per the BMI, not per the eyeball though.

But here is the thing, your BMI is not an issue to them, this is about OSA, and the FAA made it clear already that: "once we have appropriately dealt with every airman examinee who has a BMI of 40 or greater, we will gradually expand the testing pool by going to lower BMI measurements until we have identified and assured treatment for every airman with OSA.

The fact they want to test for something, ground you and then not have a decent solution other than the surgical ones is a red flag to me that this is a highly intrusive yet not a well thought out program.

I kind of wish they were just concentrating on BMI and body fat, at least it'd make sense. Then losing weight would be a solution and a good one or a lot of reasons, such as preventing a heart attack in flight? But that's not a problem to the FAA, the focus is OSA.

And to the FAA losing weight is not an acceptable solution to OSA, hence, BMI is not the issue to begin with.

Someone in OKC has their "thing" with OSA and wants to start an expedition on pilots and that keeps me from sleeping soundly at night, I mean I wake up coughing gasping for air because of it