View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
FoxHunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by cargo hopeful
Hello to all. I have been reading this forum for a while now. I have seen both positive thinking and negative thinking expressed here. While I respect all opinions, I myself have a question. I am a college student with 2 more semesters left at the university of houston. I am in a never ending battle with myself. My problem is this: Is it better to be happy or right?
Happy means selecting to be an airline (cargo) pilot, while being right would be getting a regular nine to five (in my case being a lawyer). I know that there are unhappy people in ALL kinds of jobs in the world, but what the heck is the best decision?? My next question would be is it a better choice to have a full time job and earn my certificates flying part time as much as possible in oder to reduce my debt, or should I just go to one of those expensive flight schools that promises you an "interview" (I know nothing is garuanteed).
And my last question is, I have always wondered, who prepares the meals for cargo pilots in an overseas trip? I don't see the first officer getting up and getting lunch or coffe ready in the middle of the flight, or am I wrong??
I know that this is a lot to process, but if anyone feels that they have an answer to anyone of my questions then please respond.
thanks
I would suggest that you look around and try to find a ANG or USAFR unit that will send you to flight school. You may even consider a USAR or a ARNG but that would be probably be R/W.

You say the other option is a 9-5 job as a lawyer??? I have a daughter that is a new lawyer, graduated in May. My guess is that she works 60-80 hours a week. Some nights she is at her home working to 2:00am finishing her work. BTW she did her undergad work at Penn State, finished in two years, did not go to summer school the first summer, took 28 credits for a number of semesters, graduated with a 3.9 GPA only because the first college semester brought her average down. Then got a free ride at Law School. Says everyone that she works with hates their job. She complains that pilots are the only ones that love the job.

Good luck in what you choose.

Last edited by FoxHunter; 02-22-2006 at 05:23 PM.