Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 AM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

I'm really trying to keep emotion out of this discussion and consider the LOA on it's merits ...

I think the LOA is grossly inadequate. That said, if I vote NO then the company can (maybe will?) fill the vacancies with new hires who will through no fault of their own, take some of the very good MD-11 Asia flying. This would make me relatively more junior in my current position ... bad deal for me.

Assuming the LOA passes, at least some, maybe many of the positions would be filled with current seniority list pilots senior to me, making me relatively more senior in my current position ... better deal.

That's one perspective ... another thought of mine is that I "might" be interested in bidding a FDA. No kids at home anymore, it might be fun living overseas for a few years. This LOA IS NOT FINANCIALLY ATTRACTIVE! I will lose money bidding it and that just doesn't seem right to me. The company can and should be picking up more of the financial burden that living in these cities will cause. A military 0-4 gets over $5850 housing allowance in HKG and another $493 for utilities (I believe he gets a COLA on top of that also but I haven't been able to document the amount yet). That's over twice what the company is offering us ... that just doesn't seem "right" to me.

Will the company buy my current house? No

Will the LOA cover even half the cost of my rent in HKG? No

American school for the kids? No

Early upgrade for pilots junior to me if they bid the FDA? Maybe?

I just don't see ANYTHING good in this offer. I'm really disappointed in the NC and the company. I don't buy DW's statement that some money is better than no money. I say let the "train leave without us this time." Maybe the next one will be an "EXPRESS" instead of the freight train we are on now.