View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
skydweller97
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2007

I agree with what JD wrote below (I work for SATS also). I've had a lot of long days, but I'm having a lot of fun. I like my job. But it is a job, you have to work a little. And while I've had some long days, I've also had some periods where I almost felt guilty, and was checking in to see when I was going to get to fly again. Over the winter things slow down and we get a lot more easy days and freebies at home on standby.

Originally Posted by jdsavage View Post
Although I agree with you on many points I do have to point out a few things. Not once was I ever led to believe this job would be easy. I was told point blank in the interview I would be putting in long days.

Pay, you're right. Its not great, but its not bad for a single engine piston. Could it be higher, of course. Will they have to raise it, yes. Keep in mind this isn't a CRJ, or a 757.

As far as the weather goes, in the company this issue has been brought up and addressed. I suggest your read 135.173, and 135.175. 10 pax or more, we carry 3. No regs state we cannot do what we are doing. This also allows said pilot to better their skills at reading the weather and not relying on technology totally. Old skill being lost in this modern age called pilotage.

A/C, there are 14 of 26 with it. Is it perfect? NO WAY! I am from Florida myself, and I can personally attest to almost dying in the heat. What does the company intend to do? Get rid of the older planes with out as newer planes come in with it.

Lunch breaks? You need to eat? Just kidding. I have run into that also, so I spoke up about it. They were very willing to work in a lunch for me on many occasions. Most of the time they schedule a break long enough to eat.

Now, keep in mind I have worked for some garbage companies in the past. Is this operation perfect? Nope. Not bad though for 2.5 years old. In my interview they did just about all they could to scare me off, and made it sound a lot harder than it actually is. Maybe they went from one extreme to another. I couldn't say as I am not doing the interviews.