View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Deez340
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by 1Seat 1Engine View Post
your definition of Vibrato differs from Websters:

"a slightly tremulous effect imparted to vocal or instrumental tone for added warmth and expressiveness"

If you were thinking along the lines of "Bravado" in terms of bragging, maybe try these:

Jacitation
Braggadocio
Rhodomantade
Gasconade
While I can appreciate that you obviously received a thesaurus for Christmas, i don't need one. My comment was in reference to a pompous singer (think opera) with a booming vibrato. (think big fat self absorbed jacka** that belts out a note to the back seats while his jaw moves annoyingly up and down exaggerating his natural vibrato) The Websters definition you quoted is much more general including the pleasing sounds of instrumental vibrato. (the reason you see cello, violin players, and for that matter Eddie Vanhalen move their hands back and forth while sustaining a note) Perhaps my reference was too specific for this forum but i assure you in the proper circles it would have been perfectly understood.

Did you know that several years ago in an effort to develop the ability to predict the success of pilot candidates the Navy embarked on a mission to find out what sort of person made a good pilot. In their research project they compiled mountains of data on years of superior and substandard aviators. After processing the data trying to find the attributes of a superior pilot only one common trait among the elite could be found....... musicians. True story, i always thought that was interesting.

Last edited by Deez340; 06-30-2007 at 01:01 PM.