View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 05:50 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I just completed my Multi-engine check ride in a Piper Seminole. I have 300 hours TT, Commercial, Instrument,and complex endorsement. My question is, I have the fortunate opportunity to fly a Cessna 310 this summer. The Owner-pilot has offered to let me sit right seat and act as a safety pilot. Can I log this time without a high-performance endorsement? And will this time count towards my total Multi-engine time?..I have never flown a C-310, my only Multi-engine time is approx 16 hours in the Seminole. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from Instructors and the FAR's are clear as mud on this subject. All help is greatly appreciated!
PS, I'm using my Dad's APC account, I'm Vito's Son in case the Avatar is confusing.
Thanks in advance.
The regulation is crystal clear on the subject.

Your question regards the logging of multi engine time, and the logging of "time." First, you need to define what time you hope to log. You also need to understand the difference between logging flight time, and acting as pilot in command. Logging pilot in command is not the same as acting as pilot in command. You need the high performance endorsement to act as pilot in command (BE pilot in command). You do NOT need it to log pilot in command.

You indicated that you plan to be safety pilot. If you're safety pilot, you may act as second in command only during simulated instrument flight. This means that if the other pilot isn't wearing his view limiting device, you can't log it, and if he isn't flying, you can't log it. If you intend to be sole manipulator of the controls, you can log it as PIC, but without the endorsement you cannot act as PIC (can't be the actual pilot in command). If you're manipulating the controls, you can't log SIC any more, because it's no longer simulated instrument flight, even if the other pilot is wearing his view limiting device; a SIC is no longer required.

In order to log the time, you do not need an endorsement; you need to be rated in the aircraft (category and class: airplane, multi engine land). You are rated in the aircraft, and can log PIC. You can log PIC, but not act as PIC. You can log and act as SIC.