View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 AM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
Did you include a negotiating committee going slightly rogue in your calculus?
You can't ever the discount the possibility of a subordinate trying to supplant their own judgment to your instructions, can you? In which case, you just yank the leash back.

The fact that the MEC oversees the NC tells me that whatever is happening is happening with the MEC's consent. How could it not, especially considering they meet constantly. Conclusion: some of the MEC isn't happy, but they don't have the majority, so they blame others. The fact that it's been happening over, and over, and over, over a broad range of topics involving or not involving the NC, tells me it's a power struggle. Two sets of guys want to in charge, one set isn't getting their guys in successfully, within ALPA, or outside of it, so they set up these sorts of accounts to discredit their oponents. If they have to slaughter their own guys or a deal in the process, it's OK.

In parallel to this, there is a philosophical debate to be had over constructive engagement, concessions, etc. I think it's being overshadowed by the power struggle.

I think most everyone here is smart enough to see both things are going on, but most guys are afraid to separate the power struggle, from the legitimate debate, lest they be labelled.

Last edited by Sink r8; 06-01-2015 at 03:14 AM.