Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

As far as corporate paying their share- I'll gladly start writing checks when the airlines get cut off from government subsidies towards bankruptcies, pension plans, post 9/11 programs, etc.

The way I see it, is that aviation is a benefit to ALL citizens- even those who never fly. Air commerce brings businesses and corporate growth. Air commerce brings goods and household products to the market. Air commerce drives a good portion of our country (as evidenced by the post 9/11 impact).

Half of the cost of the air transport system should come from the general fund. The other half (regardless of operation), should come from fuel taxes. That way- those people who are richer pay their share (assumably since they can afford bigger aircraft). Same goes with companies. Likewise, the fuel tax should be EVEN ACROSS THE BOARD. None of this BS where the airlines get a fuel tax deduction and everybody else sees a $.75 increase per gallon.

Right now isn't working- but user fees AREN'T the way to go. Honestly, I would have no problem flying VFR at 17500' on most of my flights should european style costs ever become the norm here in the US (my average stage length is 100 NM). In the end user fees do nothing to benefit ANYBODY.