View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 AM
capt_zman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Here's my story FWIW. The last time I went to training (keyword being last), I was brand new at the company and held Mem/11FO on one of those super bids. Training letter came out and I was waiting a good year before I went. I sent multiple requests to senior pilots to swap trading dates but all were denied. After about 20 training letter revisions, I was within 2 weeks of going to training. Couldn't wait to get off the back of Boeing and make some real money. WRONG.

That's when all the purple nuggets rolled into town and the company trained ALL of them before the last few that had been waiting over a year. Different domicile meant no Passover pay. Why is this significant? Because during this second delay, we got our contract. Most of the purple nuggets were up and running by then and when the TA was finalized, guess who got the wide body FO bonus? Not me. 10k gone from bonus and a good ~50+ k gone from the extra 10 months of waiting.

To throw more salt in the wounds, the company was short of mem/11F pilots, so what did they do? They transferred a junior pilot from ANC into Memphis, of which they couldn't even hold the MEM FO seat! After the grievance was settled, SOME of the affected bunch received a whopping $150 settlement from the company.

The reason I'm re-telling this story is that there is the potential for the loss/gain of serious money. It's a definite gamble. For me and my only training experience, I lost thousands of dollars. For those that didn't swap training with me, well, let's just say they most definitely made out better than I. So buyer beware because we could be in a very similar predicament regarding a possible contract and the length of these training letters.