View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Rowdy1
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default FedEx LOA First and Final thoughts

FIRST :I speak as someone that does have “Intel” and others would consider me “in the know”. I will share reliable facts, what the current situation is, and you then can vote as you will. I won’t sit here and defend these statements and get into verbal attacks, I will just educate some that might not have the correct info and are willing to be the “+ 1” out of frustration. Heres the info:1) This was a very in-depth negotiation. The MEC did come to the table with a much more “elevated” starting point. (so did the company) There were many “heated” negotiations, schooling was an absolute no for the company, the “seed” money was a big plus for the negotiation, it still isn’t the best, but when we discussed the alternatives of lack of progression and job stagnation we completed negotiations. Trust the MEC when I tell you ‘we will not be getting a LOA round 2, this is it, trust me’2) The company currently believes we have an excess of 500 pilots, NOT including how age 60 will affect us. Currently the high staffing will be for the training float, additional a/c, the new open time "open period", AND (mostly) the (2) new bases. The company expects the excess to continue due to the AGE 60 pilots returning to the back of the B727. (The company did not expect this high of a retainment)3) SIBA will be gone, it will not return even with a no vote on the LOA, the company was very definite about this.4) When/IF the LOA is voted done, the company has two optionsa. Open the domicile without the LOA. Due to legal and current contractual issues this is not what we want. (TRUST ME)b. Open the bases without FedEx pilots flying FedEx A/C. This will do massive damage to career expectations across the board. And this is not a rumor it has been researched and is a viable alternative that the company is prepared to go through with.5) As a side note the company’s analysis of previously trained on the B757 have been on the property for less than 4.5 years (FDA Captains) and the current hiring pool would provide a more than an abundance of B757 pilots (FDA F/O’s). The company has already considered prior to this LOA to hire directly into BOTH seats directly from the pool (i.e. ANC MD).6) Being based in CDG or HKG will not be a windfall of finances or living conditions. The company will not be “throwing” any more money at us for going. Please review calculations on how the additional Captain positions, additional a/c and a continued hiring process and how it will affect your position.7) Be Careful what we wish for, because we might just get it. FINAL THOUGHT : Be ready for the alternative, this is NOT where we want to make our contractual stand, save it for three years when we re-enter negotiations. TRUST ME.