View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
higney85
Property of Scheduling

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Bus driver

Originally Posted by CHQ Pilot View Post
If you think the "magical" 1000TPIC gets you anywhere these days, you might want take another look at the future. The Regionals for years have been selling the pipe dream that they work on the understanding that you come, upgrade, get your 1000 hours PIC and move on. Tell that to the many hundreds (probably into the 1000s) that have well over 1000 hours TPIC that are actively looking for at least an interview. I have yet to run into anyone that got an interview passing the 1000 hour mark unless they were VERY well connected. Most it seems are into the 3-5K hours TPIC range. It seems to be the typical idea that pilots don't care about the working conditions until they reach the 1000 TPIC; then the interviews don't come and they start to realize they may be at their company for the long haul and QOL all of a sudden became a big factor.
Some are connected... and some get to be in the right position at the right time when everyone is hiring with a low supply of qualified pilots. I have talked with guys with 5000 hoursTT, 2500TJPIC and can't get an interview (many of the PNCL guys). They typically are 35-40 years old (or older and with no contacts). I have also talked with guys who are already at jobs such as FDX with only 4000TT, 1000TJPIC. There are many factors that get you an interview and consequently the job. 1000TJPIC is the mins at pretty much every major- it may not be a "magical" number for some, but for everyone it "checks the box" for the TJPIC column. To each there own- getting into the CA seat is always better than sitting longer in the right seat getting the SIC time and making the FO paycheck.