View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM
PurpleToolBox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
Great explanation and correct about the visual approach. The only issue with the practice approach where I seem to differ is this: Say you are flying along VFR and squawking VFR. You decide to make a practice approach using a nearby ILS. You contact approach control and request a "Practice" ILS approach. The controller is going to vector you for a practice ILS approach and typically state that you remain clear of clouds [as you do not have permission to fly this approach IFR] The instructions will typically also state a VFR MAP. During this approach you can of course request to make it a full stop. You also do not need to be IFR current to use this procedure as you are not technically on an IFR clearance, nor could you accept one if not current.
Those are the procedures for when you are on an VFR flight plan and conducting practice approaches. Under an IFR flight plan flying practice approaches, you do not need to remain clear of clouds. However, when VMC, you are still expected to see and avoid.

Separate issue, when cleared a Visual Approach, they end with you landing on the runway. Even if the procedure is published, there typically is not a Missed Approach Procedure. In the event of a missed approach/go-around during a Visual Approach, you're expected to climb into the visual traffic pattern and/or do what tower wants. I only bring this up because many of the heavy pilots I fly with back up the Visual Approaches with the ILS however they incorrectly brief the ILS MAP in case of a missed approach. That could get you into a lot of trouble.