View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Ewfflyer
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by belliott View Post
I think that they can gain a lot from hiring low time guys right now... more specifically I think that if they offer this job to low time guys now they can breed them into the type of pilots that they want. Plus, having two guys in an aircraft extends the duty day... at least I believe that is correct. Redundancy and added safety are pluses that shouldn't be overlooked. Once these low time pilots have the needed hours to move to the left seat I would imagine that they would continue to work for AirNet for a few more years before looking elsewhere. This isn't an instant solution but I believe that overtime they will have less of a difficult time finding and retaining pilots.
I think that every cargo carrier like AirNet should be doing this... but then again what do I know?

Just my thought...
But........here's the catch. Now you have to pay 2 pilots for the job of one. Not only that, you're probably paying for someone that can easily jump-ship once they get their year in etc... It's really going to be tough for the next few years for the 135 freight guys just because the way the airlines are soaking people up. Why fly a Baron/Chieftan/310/Caravan when you can fly a shiny jet. It's a tough thing to fight against.