Thread: Omni Air
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM
blackbox
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: FO

Originally Posted by gunner View Post
Omni is not a career position to which aviators aspire, but a destination for those that cannot succeed further in aviation...
Disagree. I came here cause I was on my second regional. The regional I was at was going out of business, the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to add a third regional on my resume. OH furloughed me and got called back, got current, and got hired here at Omni. The big O is rough. there are a lot of things about the job that none of us like or even agree with but I will still stand by my pervious post that if you have TPIC and are currently a FO at a regional, yes come to Omni. Especially if you have to commute. Omni is a home base airline, yes the 22 hour DH does suck, I agree. But in over 4 years as even a junior FO, I've had it once. I live on the East Coast and was coming from Japan so the time to get from there to here is time consuming. It sucked. It wasn't nice. But in 4 years that was only time. I know there are crew members that have had it happen several times but out of the 300+ the percentage is small.

One step further. I have zero PIC turbine. I'm one of the few here that do. But like perviously said having 6000 TT and 3000 TPIC might not get you a job. We have several captains here that unfortunately fall in the "you have too much PIC time." I don't agree with that excuse from airlines. But, lets face it, they use it. I think they call it "untrainable." Heck look at UPS they want\require (not in the resume part but they do require it) HEAVY time, either SIC or PIC. So if you're a regional captain wanting a change something like Omni might be the place for you. Maybe not Omni, maybe Atlas, National, or Kalitta. But one of those places could get you over the hump.

I've commuted as a regional pilot and I've lived in base as a regional pilot, Omni isn't that bad. As regional pilots we *****ed about pay, trips, commuting, and seniority. Guess what, no airline is different, we do that at Omni too. It's not the perfect airline but what airline is? If you want to fly heavy planes around the world, be home based, get a pay check twice a month no questions asked, and still ***** about your job; apply to the big O. Maybe you could join us in our fight

Last edited by blackbox; 08-25-2015 at 09:50 PM.