View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 11:05 AM
vroll1800
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Always Fly With Favorite Captain

Originally Posted by pipe View Post
99.9% of the time I agree with Albie and he is often the voice of reason. I could be convinced that the smart move is to accept this and move on except for one MAJOR problem:

SIX YEARS!!

If it was a four year deal, one could lick their wounds and move on, mentally preparing for the next round. With this deal, it will account for half or more of our career for many of us. It's just not good enough for that (and I'm talking pay/retirement numbers only)

Pipe
One way of looking at this would be to make a golf game analogy, whereby each section of the contract represents a hole, with the length of the contract in years representing the par for each hole. Now I know there's no such animal as a golf course with the same par on every hole, let alone a 6-par.
Anyway, it would be nice if someone made a pro/con analysis of the contract like a DL bubba did earlier, except say whether section was par(no real gain), bogey(concession), or birdie (gain). Further refinements could be made on double bogeys, eagles, etc.

Back to the point: Playing 18 holes of 3-par/hole, one wouldn't be too unhappy to come away with a par game with an occasional bogey offset by a birdie. (Also a quicker way to spend an afternoon vs. conventional course.) However, if I (or a lot of others) were to play 18 holes of 6/par per hole, there had better be a lot of birdies (with an eagle or 2 thrown in), and ZERO BOGEYS for one to be a happy camper. Such a "course" with too many bogeys would make for a very long day, never mind an afternoon. Best wishes going forward.// vroll