View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Shiner
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Crawl View Post
I can attest. It is a huge QOL improvement and saving me hundreds of dollars a month being on reserve.

In addition, a good number of the hotels they put us in have free breakfast and decent food discounts, and the Atrium in Dallas gets you a free beverage of choice.

Compare that to my craptastic crashpad that cost $250/month. Had to pay for and rely on public transportation to/from the airport. Supply my own soap/shampoo/towels/bedding/pillows and launder it myself. Not to mention sharing everything with about 20 dudes in a 1300 square foot space. Had to clean most everything ourselves. Share a mold ridden bathroom slathered with the pubes of past generations of pilots who never clean up after themselves. Sleep on a bunk bed in room with 5 other guys, all on different sleep schedules. Sleep with ear plugs because 3 of those other 5 guys snoring can wake the demons from the underworld. Store your food in a refrigerator with everyone else who never throws out their expired milk, cheese, rotting vegetables and who knows what else. Sweat out the toxins while you sleep because the owner of the crashpad locks the thermostat on the Central American rainforest setting.

You can't put a number value on everything...

This is hilariously accurate. I didn't realize how much my QOL has improved until I read that. Reserve has been long for me, but now that I've got some seniority, it's not terrible. I never have a problem getting a late start on day 1 and can usually work my way into finishing early on my last day. The last couple months, I've had a few days where I knew I wouldn't be called and got paid to stay at home. I'm guessing most of this is because we are fat on pilots, but the last few months have been much better on reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk