View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM
mavsfflife
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Super27 View Post
Absolutely true. But it comes down to a lifestyle choice. I don't care how good the pay is at a regional - it's still a regional. You will still be working crap schedules, flying to a lot of crap places, staying in crap hotels, eating crap food in airports, carrying around a feed bag because you can only afford one crappy airport meal per day and the motels you stay in won't have restaurants anyway, and basically being the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the overall operation at any airport.

I'm in no way denying the opportunities that regionals offer for many pilots. But comparing a regional to EAS isn't comparing apples to apples. I generally work no more than 2-3 legs per day. I get to fly to some decent places, and occasionally get lucky enough to spend several days there. While the regional crew is still standing in the rain waiting on the LaQuinta van, I'm already enjoying the free open bar at the Embassy Suites that I drove to in my company-paid rental car. I'm also never reaching for my own money to pay for a meal, nor do I have to worry about packing a feed bag and trying to snag a room with a microwave at the hotel. EAS is far from perfect, but this side of the industry offers far more lifestyle perks than the regionals ever will.
Definitely has its pro's and con's, but even the worst schedule at a regional will yield you 5 on 3 off. After a few months on reserve it turns into 4 on 3 off. While your driving to the hotel in your company paid rental car with 9 days left on your rotation the regional guy will be sitting at home going into days off.

Airline people get per diem, yes they don't have a company credit card and will not eat as good since they can pocket the per diem instead but you do get close to $45 a day in tax free money for food.

I'll agree with you life on the road with EAS isn't bad, but it depends on what you'd rather have....a good life on the road on a 12/3 or 10/5 rotation or doing a max of 4 days on then being home for at least 3 days. I'll take the airline schedule and my time at home over life on the road any day.